Saturday, January 12, 2008

Hymns and Readings for Sunday

Sunday after Theophany
Sunday of the Publican and the Pharisee

13 January 2008

Tone Eight - Eothinon Two

TROPARIA AND KONTAKION

TROPARION OF THE RESURRECTION IN TONE EIGHT
You descended from on high O Compassionate One; and consented to burial for three days that You might free us from suffering. O Lord our life and our resurrection, glory to You!

TROPARION OF THE THEOPHANY IN TONE ONE
At your Baptism in the Jordan River, O Christ, the worship due to the Holy Trinity was made manifest, for the voice of the Father bore You witness by calling You ‘Beloved Son’ , and the Holy Spirit, in the form of a dove, confirmed the immutability of this declaration. O Christ God who came forth and fill the world with light, glory to You!

KONTAKION OF THE THEOPHANY OF CHRIST IN TONE FOUR
Today You have appeared, O Lord, to the universe, and your light, O Christ our God, has been impressed up on us who sing to You with full knowledge: You came and appeared, O Inaccessible Light!

LITURGY OF THE WORD

PROKIMENON

(RESPONSORY FROM THE PSALTER)

Make your vows to the LORD your God, and perform them;
let all around him bring gifts to him who is to be feared.

In Judah God is known, his name is great in Israel.

THE READING FROM THE SECOND EPISTLE ST PAUL TO TIMOTHY

TIMOTHY, MY SON: You have observed my teaching, my conduct, my aim in life, my faith, my patience, my love, my steadfastness, my persecutions, my sufferings, what befell me at Antioch, at Iconium, and at Lystra, what persecutions I endured; yet from them all the Lord rescued me. Indeed all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evil men and impostors will go on from bad to worse, deceivers and deceived. But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings which are able to instruct you for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.

ALLELUIA

O Come, let us sing to the Lord
and shout with joy to the Rock who saves us.

Let us approach Him with praise and thanksgiving
and sing joyful songs to the Lord.

THE READING FROM THE HOLY GOSPEL ACCORDING TO ST LUKE

THE LORD SPOKE THIS PARABLE: "Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, `God, I thank thee that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week, I give tithes of all that I get.' But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, `God, be merciful to me a sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for every one who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted."

HIRMOS IN TONE FIVE
(A “Megalynarion” — Hymn to the Virgin — sung after the Consecration)

It is truly meet to bless you, O Theotokos, who are ever-blessed and all-blameless and the Mother of our God; more honored than the Cherubim and more glorious beyond compare than the Seraphim: You who without stain did bear God the Word and are truly Theotokos: we magnify you.

COMMUNION HYMN

Praise the LORD! Praise the LORD from the heavens,
Praise him in the heights!

No comments:

 
.......