Thursday, February 22, 2007

Friday of the First Week of Lent

Prokimenon

R. Extol the LORD our God; worship at his footstool! Holy is he!

V. The LORD reigns; let the peoples tremble!
He sits enthroned upon the cherubim; let the earth quake!

A Reading from the First Epistle of St Paul to Timothy

My son, Timothy: I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all men, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life, godly and respectful in every way. This is good, and it is acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all, the testimony to which was borne at the proper time. For this I was appointed a preacher and apostle (I am telling the truth, I am not lying), a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.

Alleluia

Remember Thy congregation, which Thou hast gotten of old,
which Thou hast redeemed to be the tribe of Thy heritage!
Remember Mount Zion, where Thou hast dwelt.

God my King is from of old, working salvation in the midst of the earth.

A Reading from the Holy Gospel according to St John

The Lord said: I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch of mine that bears no fruit, he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. You are already made clean by the word which I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in me, and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If a man does not abide in me, he is cast forth as a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you will, and it shall be done for you.

Kinonikon

God my King is from of old, working salvation in the midst of the earth.

Thou hast put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and wine abound.

No comments:

 
.......