Tuesday, March 20, 2007

From the Triodion

Making love our food, let us, O faithful, subdue our desires by means of abstinence. Let us strive to live in a manner pleasing to God who was lifted up on the Cross for us and pierced with a spear, so that we may better enjoy the everlasting bliss, glorifying the Savior of our souls.

Of old we received death from a tree; but now we find life again through the Tree of the Cross. So let us put to death the movements of the passions. Let us, O faithful, entreat our Benefactor, that shining with the radiance of divine works, adorned with virtues, we may attain the saving Resurrection, glorifying the Savior of our souls.

From O Lord, to You I Call, Vespers, Wednesday, Fifth Week of Lent

Banished from Your straight path through the passions, in my wretchedness I have fallen headlong into the pit. The Levite and the Priest, passing by together, turned from me with disdain. But You, O Christ, have taken pity on me. Tearing up the record of my sins with the weapon of the Cross, You have freed me from the passions and glorified me, enthroning me beside the Father. And so I cry aloud: O Lord, beyond my understanding, glory to You!

From the Aposticha, Vespers, Wednesday, Fifth Week of Lent

No comments:

 
.......