Tuesday, March 06, 2007

From the Triodion

O Lord who put the cunning serpent to death by Your Cross, save me from his delusions, for I have sinned and been deceived. Purify me through fasting, O Master, and grant that I may do Your will so that I may contemplate in joy Your holy Passion!

I have been wounded by the sword of pleasures, O Lord, totally disabled by evil. Heal and give life to my humble soul. O Master, You were pierced by a lance; as my Savior, heal those pierced by the Enemy's arrows, and make me a partaker of Your precious suffering.

From O Lord, to You I Call, Wednesday, Third Week of Lent

Son, listen to me! Happy are those who keep my ways. Instruction and wisdom do not reject! Happy the man who obeys me! Happy the man watching daily at my gates, wating at my door-posts. For he who finds me finds life, and wins favor from the Lord.

From Proverbs, Vespers, Wednesday, Third Week of Lent

Though I am a creature born on earth, I share in Your image, O Lord, and thus dare to call upon You, the Creator, as my Father. Living as the Prodigal, I have lost the grace of sonship; and forgetful of Your gifts, I have wasted my inheritance. Do not disown me, for You sent Your only-begotten Son to endure crucifixion and death for my sake in the flesh. In Your love for mankind,bring me back from evil and make me Yours again.

From the Aposticha, Vespers, Third Wednesday of Lent

1 comment:

Staying in Balance said...

Hello. I have just discovered your blog. I am a Roman Catholic and am disgusted with my inablity to eat normally, much less fast. Thinking of the stricter fasting rules that the Byzantines and Orthodox follow has lead me to follow my hunger so to speak, and research Eastern spirituality.

God bless you for your work.

 
.......